2020 is finally here! And our calendar is already full of things to do, so let’s get going! The Voter PDF is here if you want to start with that.
- For a quick overview, with a punch of enthusiasm, read Suzan’s go-get’em column. Catch the spirit of 2020!
- In case you haven’t noticed, we have an election in March, so check out the local ballot measures and Voter’s Edge for information (and come to the Action/Advocacy Committee for more).
- Want to help with voter registration, but have some questions? Come to Suzan’s house for a training on Friday afternoon, January 10th, or Saturday morning, January 11th.
- For more election action, volunteers are needed to help with televised roundtables during the day on January 16th and also in the early evening of January 16th – these are fun to do! Live forums (also being taped) are scheduled for February 4th, 6th and 13th and more – check Martha’s blog post and the online calendar for more information and how to help.
- Don’t miss the Women’s March in Walnut Creek on Saturday, January 18th – staff a booth or work the crowd, there are lots of ways to participate!
- At the Women’s March and elsewhere, Schools and Communities First is going strong all month – get an update from Carol Murota in this issue.
- A new year also means new resolutions, and for League, that’s Program Planning to set our priorities again. Join us for this important discussion on January 25th! This year will include an assessment of what LWVUS and LWVBA should focus on for 2020-2022, and what LWVDV will do for 2020-2021.
- With the anniversary theme of “Looking Back, Moving Forward: Women Power the Vote!”, we are looking back at the powerhouse women who helped to get the vote – this month it’s a truly astounding woman, Matilda Joslyn Gage, a virtually unknown colleague of Stanton and Anthony.
- And there’s a wonderful suffrage exhibit featuring notable Contra Costa women leaders—curated by our own Beverly Lane—opening in Martinez at the end of the month, with a reception February 1st cosponsored by LWVDV.
- Looking ahead, mark your calendars for Saturday, February 29, for the LWV Bay Area’s League Day celebrating our anniversary. It will be held at the Dominican Center in Fremont, close to Hwy 680 – tickets and information are available at http://lwvbayarea.org/2020-league-day.
Issues referenced by this article:
League to which this content belongs:Diablo Valley